Wednesday 9 December 2009

Empty world


Late autumn in Catalonia can bring some beautiful days. After a week of cold, roof-tile-flinging winds and crashing swells with fierce undertows that move more sand in an afternoon than a regiment of bulldozers could in a week, a Mediterranean jewel of a day is conjured from the chaos. And it begs to be lived to the full.

Dutiful as always in the face of fine conditions I pack the boat and go for lunch on a little beach that, during the summer months, is inaccessible due to buoys and bathers and rules and regulations. I see no other sailing boats on the three-mile reach and there are no people on the beach. Feeling luckier than a lottery winner I give a OB a salt water clean out and cook a simple lunch. I wonder why people round here use the coast seasonally, why they pack their beach towels and boats away in September. But I don’t wonder for too long, I don’t really care. Today I’m just glad they do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a perfect day.

Chris Sollett said...

Oh, that was me who said that, btw.
Chris

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's a complete mystery why the beaches are deserted. My husband continues to swim...yes, weekly; at least up to this week this year.

Anonymous said...

(And so would I if I were anywhere near a beach.)